Institute of Geological Sciences Polish Academy of Sciences
Research Centre in Cracow
Senacka 1, 31-002 Kraków, Poland
+48 12 3705 226 (Office)
+48 12 422 19 10 (Switchboard)
clay minerals’ chemistry, isotope chemistry, structure, and thermal transformations; physicochemical properties of mineral surfaces; geomaterials, shales and black shales; mineralogical applications in oil and gas exploration
Feb, 2022 Professorship (full)
June, 2013 D.Sc. / Habilitation in Earth sciences; Polish Academy of Sciences
Sept., 2003 Ph.D. in Earth sciences; Jagiellonian University of Krakow (Poland)
June, 1999 M.Sc. in geological sciences; Jagiellonian University of Krakow (Poland)
Institute of Geological Sciences of the Polish Academy of Sciences (IGS PAS), Krakow (Poland); full professor,
IGS PAS, Krakow (Poland); professor, head of the Clay Minerals Research Group (since 11/2020)
CoreSpec Alliance LLC (USA), chief technology consultant (remotely)
10/2019 – 12/2019
Dept. of Earth and Planetary Sciences, Univ. of Tokyo (Japan); Visiting Professor
3/2016 – 12/2019
Inst. of Geological Sci., Polish Academy of Sciences (Poland); Deputy Director for Research
1/2012 - 3/2016
IGS PAS, Krakow (Poland); associate professor, head of the Clay Minerals Laboratory (since 7/2013)
3/2010 - 3/2012
Chevron ETC, Houston Geo-Technical Center (TX, USA); scientific consultant (on site / full-time, 2009 and 2012-2015 remotely / part-time)
6/2009 - 2/2010
University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB (Canada); postdoctoral researcher
10/2008 - 3/2009
Baker Hughes Co., Calgary, AB (Canada); senior mineralogist
1/2008 - 10/2008
Chevron ETC, Houston Geo-Technical Center (TX, USA); postdoctoral researcher
3/2006 - 12/2007
University of California, Riverside, CA (USA); postdoctoral researcher
1/2004 - 3/2006
Inst. of Geological Sci., Polish Academy of Sciences, Krakow (Poland); researcher
10/1999 - 9/2003
Inst. of Geological Sci., Jagiellonian University of Krakow (Poland); PhD student
- The quest for proton: the mechanism of hydrogen isotope fractionation during thermal alterations of phyllosilicates (D/HydroGen). Funded by The National Science Centre. 1182k PLN (~ 257k EUR). Since 2022. PI
- Diffractometry of rocks and minerals – infrastructural grant Funded by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education. 1992k PLN (~ 430k EUR). 2021-2022. PI.
- The mechanism and kinetics of rehydroxylation in calcined clay minerals as a key to a new method of archaeological dating (RHX-Clay). Funded by The National Science Centre. 789k PLN (~ 188k EUR). 2018-2022. PI
- “Sweet Spots”. Mineral and organic matter properties in application to gas- and oil-shales. Funded by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education. 670k PLN (~ 150k EUR). 2015-2016. PI.
- Targeting Shale Gas with Advanced Mineralogy and Geochemistry (SGMG). Funded by Chevron ETC, Houston, TX, USA. 380k USD. 2012-2016. PI.
- Deciphering the Ediacaran environment from unaltered clastic sedimentary rocks of the East European Craton. Funded by The National Science Centre; 2,914k PLN (~ 700k EUR), 2014-2018. (PI: Jan Srodon).
- Dehydration, rehydration, dehydroxylation, and rehydroxylation of clay minerals. Infrastructural part funded under ATLAB project by RegPot program within EU 7th Framework Programme. ~250k EUR (for Work Package). 2012-2015. Co-PI.
Since 2019 – Associate Editor of Clay Minerals - Journal of Fine Particle Science
2018 - 2021 – The Clay Mineral Society, Chair of the Nominations Committee.
2017 - 2020 – The Clay Mineral Society, Councilor.
2015 - 2017 – The Clay Mineral Society, Chair of the Publications Committee.
Since 2011 – a reviewer for 10+ journals in geology, mineralogy, geochemistry, oil&gas
Paweł Ziemiański (M.Sc. 2016, AGH Univ. of Technology, Krakow), PhD in 2021
Małgorzata Lempart (M.Sc. 2012, AGH Univ. of Technology, Krakow), PhD in 2020
Tomasz Topór (M.Sc. 2011, Jagiellonian Univ. of Krakow), PhD in 2018
Artur Kuligiewicz (M.Sc. 2011, Jagiellonian Univ. of Krakow), PhD in 2017
Anna Szreter (shared with the AGH University of Science and Technology), M.Sc. 2020
Paweł Ziemiański (shared with the AGH University of Science and Technology), M.Sc. 2016
Katarzyna Kałahurska (shared with the AGH University of Science and Technology), M.Sc. 2016
Karolina Rybka (PhD 2021; AGH University of Science and Technology, Poland), since 2023
Hocine Djouder (Ph.D. 2019, Univ. of Liege, Belgium), 2020-2022
Utpalendu Kuila (Ph.D. 2012, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO, USA), 2013-2014
* asterisk denotes my students and post-docs
- Christidis G.E., Chryssikos G.D., Derkowski A., Dohrmann R., Eberl D.D, Joussein E., and Kaufhold S. (2023) Methods for Determination of the Layer Charge of Smectites: A Critical Assessment of Existing Approaches. Clays and Clay Minerals, doi.org/10.1007/s42860-023-00234-8
- Derkowski A. and Kuligiewicz A. (2023) Thermal Analysis and Thermal Reactions of Smectites: a Review of Methodology, Mechanisms, and Kinetics. Clays and Clay Minerals, 70, 946–972
- Schulmann K, Edel J.B., Lexa O., Xiao W., Třebínová D., Spikings R., Schaltegger U., Derkowski A., and Szczerba M. (2023) Paleomagnetic, tectonic and geochronological constraints for Permian–Triassic oroclinal bending of the Mongolian collage.National Science Review, 10, nwac 184
- Andreou F.T., Siranidi E., Derkowski A., and Chryssikos G.D. (2022) On the Unusual Temperature Dependence of Kaolinite Intercalation Capacity for N-methylformamide.Clays and Clay Minerals70, 796-807
- Ziemiański P.P. and Derkowski A. (2022) Structural and textural control of high-pressure hydrogen adsorption on expandable and non-expandable clay minerals in geologic conditions.International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 47, 28794-28805.
- Kanik N.J, Longstaffe F.J., Kuligiewicz A., and Derkowski A. (2022) Systematics of smectite hydrogen-isotope composition: structural hydrogen versus adsorbed water.Applied Clay Sciences, 216, 106338.
- Quesnel B., Truche L., Cathelineau M., Boiron M.-Ch., Lempart M., Rigaudier Th., Derkowski A., Gaucher E.C. (2022) Significance of H2 and CO release during thermal treatment of natural phyllosilicate-rich rocks. Chemical Geology,588, 120647.
- Słomski P., Szczepański J., Topór T, Mastalerz M., Pluymakers A., Derkowski A. and Wojciechowski T. (2021) Factors controlling pore network development of thermally mature Early Palaeozoic mudstones from the Baltic Basin (N Poland). Marine and Petroleum Geology, 134, 105328.
- Andreou F.T, Barylska B., Ciesielska Z., Szczerba M., Derkowski A., Gionis V., Siranidi E. and, Chryssikos G.D. (2021) Intercalation of N-methylformamide in kaolinite: In situ monitoring by near-infrared spectroscopy and X-ray diffraction.Applied Clay Science, 212, 106209.
- Bristow T.F., Derkowski A., Blake D.F., Berlanga G., and De Deckker P. (2021) A comparative study of clay mineral authigenesis in terrestrial and martian lakes; an Australian example.American Journal of Science 321 (7), 1080-1110.
- Avramovska M., Chmelik Ch., Derkowski A., Fantalkin A., Freude D., Haase J., Hare V., Kärger J., Kuligiewicz A., Moinester M. (2021) Searching for the fundamentals of rehydroxylation dating of archaeological ceramics via NMR and IR microscopy. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 10.1111/jace.17753, 104, 5328–5340.
- Ziemiański P.*, Derkowski A., Szczerba M., and Guggenheim S. (2021) Smectite Crystallite Swelling Under High Pressure of Methane.The Journal of Physical Chemistry C; 125 (14), 7598-7610.
- Kuligiewicz, A. and Derkowski A. (2021) Rehydroxylation of fired clays: is the time to the quarter (TTTQ) model correct? Journal of Archaeological Science, 125, 105301
- Derkowski A., Środoń J., Goryl M., Marynowski L., Szczerba M., Mazur S. (2020) Long-distance fluid migration defines the diagenetic history of unique Ediacaran sediments in the East European Craton.Basin Research, 33, 570-593
- Niezabitowska D., Roszkowska-Remin J., Szaniawski R., and Derkowski A. (2020) Magnetic susceptibility variations in shales of the western Baltic Basin (northern Poland) – a tool for regional stratigraphic correlations and the decoding of paleoenvironmental changes. AAPG Bulletin, 105 (5), 987-1007.
- Słomski P. Mastalerz M., Szczepański J., Derkowski A., Topór T. and Lutyński M. (2020) Experimental and numerical investigation of CO2–brine–rock interactions in the early Palaeozoic mudstones from the Polish part of the Baltic Basin at simulated in situ conditions.Greenhouse Gas Sci Technol., 10 (3), 567-590
- Ziemiański P.*, Derkowski A., Kozieł M., and Szczurowski J. (2020) The structural versus textural control on the clay minerals’ methane sorption capacity.International Journal of Coal Geology, 224, 103483.
- Lempart M*., Derkowski A., Strączek T., and Kapusta C. (2020) Systematics of H2 and H2O evolved from chlorites during oxidative dehydrogenation. American Mineralogist, 105, 932-944.
- Szczerba M., McCarty D.K., Derkowski A., and Kowalik M. (2020) Molecular dynamics simulations of interactions of organic molecules found in oil with smectite: influence of brine chemistry on oil recovery.Petroleum Science and Engineering, 191, 107148.
- Luberda-Durnaś K, Szczerba M., Lempart M.*, Ciesielska Z., and Derkowski A. (2020) Layers stacking disorder in Mg-Fe chlorites based on powder X-ray diffraction data. American Mineralogist, 105 (3), 353-362
Lempart M.*, Derkowski A., Luberda-Durnaś K., Skiba M., and Błachowski A. (2018) Dehydrogenation and dehydroxylation as drivers of the thermal decomposition of Fe-chlorites. American Mineralogist, 103 (11), 1837-1850.
Milliken K.L, McCarty D.K., and Derkowski A. (2018) Grain assemblages and diagenesis in the tarl-dominated lower Silurian mudrock succession of the western margin of the east European craton in Poland and Lithuania.Sedimentary Geology, 374, 115-133.
Goryl M., Marynowski L., Brocks J.J, Bobrovskiy I., and Derkowski A. (2018) Exceptional preservation of hopanoid and steroid biomarkers in Ediacaran sedimentary rocks of the East European Craton. Precambrian Research, 316, 38-47.
Derkowski A. and Marynowski, L. (2018) Binding of heavy metals by oxidised kerogen in (palaeo)weathered black shales. Chemical Geology, 493, 441-450.
Skiba M., Skiba S., Derkowski A., Maj-Szeliga K., and Dziubińska B. (2018) Formation of NH4-illite-like phase at the expense of dioctahedral vermiculite in soil and diagenetic environments – an experimental approach. Clays and Clay Minerals, 66, 74-85.
Kuligiewicz A.*, Derkowski A., Środoń J., Gionis V., and Chryssikos G.D. (2018) The charge of wettable illite-smectite surfaces measured with the O-D method.Applied Clay Science, 161, 354-363
- Derkowski A. and McCarty D.K. (2017) Cesium, a water-incompatible, siloxane-complexed cation in the Earth's upper crust. Geology, 45,899-902.
- Topór T.*, Derkowski A., Ziemiański P.*, Szczurowski J., and McCarty D.K. (2017) The effect of organic matter maturation and porosity evolution on methane storage potential in the Baltic Basin (Poland) shale-gas reservoir. International Journal of Coal Geology, 180,46-56.
- Topór T.*, Derkowski A., Ziemiański P.*, Marynowski L., and McCarty D.K. (2017) Multi-variable constraints of gas exploration potential in the Lower Silurian shale of the Baltic Basin (Poland). International Journal of Coal Geology, 179, 45-59.
- Marynowski L., Pisarzowska A., Derkowski A., Rakociński M., Szaniawski R., Środoń J., and Cohen A.S. (2017) Influence of palaeoweathering on trace metal concentrations and environmental proxies in black shales. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 472, 177-191.
- Kuligiewicz A.* and Derkowski A. (2017) Tightly bound water in smectites. American Mineralogist, 102, 1073-1090.
- Derkowski A. and Kuligiewicz A.* (2017) Rehydroxylation in smectites and other clay minerals observed in-situ with a modified thermogravimetric system. Applied Clay Science, 136, 219-229.
- Szczerba M., Kuligiewicz A.*, Derkowski A., Gionis V., Chryssikos G.D., and Kalinichev, A.G. (2016) Structure and dynamics of water-smectite interfaces: Hydrogen bonding and the origin of the sharp O-Dw/O-Hw infrared band from molecular simulations. Clays and Clay Minerals, 64, 452-471.
- Topór T.*, Derkowski A., Kuila U.*, Fischer T.B., and McCarty D.K. (2016) Dual liquid porosimetry: porosity measurement method for oil and gas bearing shales. Fuel, 183, 537-549.
- Drits V.A., Derkowski A., Sakharov B.A., and Zviagina B.B. Experimental evidence of the formation of intermediate phases during transition of kaolinite into metakaolinite. American Mineralogist, 101, 2331-2346.
- Derkowski A. and Marynowski L. (2016) Reactivation of cation exchange capacity in black shales. International Journal of Coal Geology, 158, 65-77.
- Bojanowski M.J., Jaroszewicz E., Košir A., Łoziński M., Marynowski L., Wysocka A., and Derkowski A. (2016) Root-related rhodochrosite and concretionary siderite formation in oxygen-deficient conditions induced by a ground-water table rise. Sedimentology, 63, 523-551.
- Kuligiewicz A.*, Derkowski A., Emmerich K., Christidis G.E., Tsiantos C., Gionis V., and Chryssikos G.D. (2016) Measuring the layer charge of dioctahedral smectite by O-D vibrational spectroscopy. Clays and Clay Minerals, 63, 443-456.
- Čavajda V., Uhlík P., Derkowski A., Čaplovičová M., Madejová J., Mikula M., and Ifka T. (2015) Influence of milling and sonication on the crystal structure of talc. Clays and Clay Minerals, 63, 311-327.
- McCarty D.K., Theologou P.N., Fischer T.B., Derkowski A., Stokes M.R., and Ollila A. (2015) Mineral-chemistry quantification and petrophysical calibration for multimineral evaluations: A nonlinear approach. AAPG Bulletin, 99, 1371-1397.
- Zeelmaekers E., Honty M., Derkowski A., Środoń, J., De Craen M., Vandenberghe N., Adriaens R. and Wouters, L. (2015) Qualitative and quantitative mineralogical composition of the Rupelian Boom Clay in Belgium. Clay Minerals, 50, 249-272.
- Szczerba M., Derkowski A., Kalinichev A.G., and Środoń J. (2015) Molecular modeling of the effects of 40Ar recoil in illite particles on their K-Ar isotope dating. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 159, 162-176.
- Kuligiewicz A.*, Derkowski A., Szczerba M., Gionis V., and Chryssikos G.D. (2015) Water-smectite interface by infrared spectroscopy.Clays and Clay Minerals, 63, 15-29.
- Derkowski A., Środoń J., and McCarty D.K. (2015) Cation exchange capacity and water content of opal in sedimentary basins: example from the Monterey Formation, California. American Mineralogist, 100, 1244-1256.
- Drits V.A. and Derkowski A. (2015) Kinetic behavior of partially dehydroxylated kaolinite. American Mineralogist, 100, 883-896.
- Lee S, Fischer T.B., Stokes R.M., Klingler R.J., Ilavsky J., McCarty D.K., Wigand M.O., Derkowski A., and Winans R.E. (2014) Dehydration effect on pore size, porosity, and fractal parameters of shale rocks: USAXS study. Energy and Fuels, 28, 6772-6779.
- Kuila U.*, McCarty D.K., Derkowski A., Fischer T.B., Topor T.*, and Prasad M. (2014) Nano-scale texture and porosity of organic matter and clay minerals in gas shales. Fuel, 135, 359-373.
- Derkowski A., Szczerba M., Środoń J., and Banaś M. (2014) Radiogenic Ar retention in residual silica from acid-treated micas. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 128, 236-248.
- Kuila U., McCarty D.K., Derkowski A., Fischer T.B., and Prasad M. (2013) Total porosity measurement in gas shales by the water immersion porosimetry (WIP) method. Fuel, 117, B, 1115-1129.
- Derkowski A., Bristow T.F., Wampler J.M., Środoń J, Marynowski L., Elliott W.C., and Chamberlain C.P. (2013) Hydrothermal alteration of the Ediacaran Doushantuo Formation in the Yangtze Gorges area (South China). Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 107, 279-298.
- Zorski T., Jarzyna J., Derkowski A., and Środoń J. (2013) Well logging in the world of shale gas plays - review of the logging methods. Prz. Geol., 61, 424-434. (in Polish with English abstract)
- Zorski T., Jarzyna J., Derkowski A., and Środoń J. (2013) Well logging in the world of shale gas plays - interpretative models and specific applications in the shale gas research. Prz. Geol., 61, 478-488. (in Polish with English abstract)
- Drits V.A., McCarty D.K., and Derkowski A. (2012) Mixed-layered structure formation during trans-vacant Al-rich illite dehydroxylation. American Mineralogist, 97, 1922-1938.
- Derkowski A. and Bristow T.F. (2012) On the problems of total specific surface area and cation exchange capacity measurements in organics-rich sedimentary rocks. Clays and Clay Minerals, 60, 348-362.
- Drits V.A., Derkowski A., and McCarty D.K. (2012) Kinetics of partial dehydroxylation in dioctahedral 2:1 layer clay minerals. American Mineralogist, 97, 930-950.
- Derkowski A., Drits V.A., and McCarty D.K. (2012) Nature of rehydroxylation in dioctahedral 2:1 layer clay minerals. American Mineralogist, 97, 610-629.
- Derkowski A., Drits V.A., and McCarty D.K. (2012) Rehydration in a dehydrated-dehydroxylated smectite in environment of low water vapor content. American Mineralogist, 97, 110-127.
- Kuila U., Prasad M., Derkowski, A., and McCarty D.K. (2012) Compositional Controls on Mudrock Pore-Size Distribution: An Example from Niobrara Formation. SPE Conference Paper, 160141-MS, pp. 16.
- Bristow T.F., Bonifacie M., Derkowski A., Eiler J.M. and Grotzinger J.P. (2011) A hydrothermal origin for isotopically anomalous cap dolostone cements from South China. Nature, June 2 2011, 747, 68-72.
- Drits V.A., Derkowski A., and McCarty D.K. (2011) Kinetics of thermal transformation of partially dehydroxylated pyrophyllite. American Mineralogist, 96, 1054-1069.
- Drits V.A., Derkowski A., and McCarty D.K. (2011) New insight into the structural transformation of partially dehydroxylated pyrophyllite. American Mineralogist, 96, 153-171.
- Raiswell R., Reinhard C.T., Derkowski A., Owens, J., Bottrell S.H., Anbar A.D., Lyons T.W. (2011) Formation of syngenetic and early diagenetic iron minerals in the late Archean Mt. McRae Shale, Hamersley Basin, Australia: New insights on the patterns, controls and paleoenvironmental implications of authigenic mineral formation. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 75, 1072-1087.
- Derkowski A. and McCarty D.K. (2010) ChemRock-BestRock: Advanced Tools for Formation Evaluation. bLog Formation Evaluation Network Newsletter - Chevron ETC, 1(4), 5-8, feature article.
- Drits V.A., Ivanovskaya T.A., Sakharov B.A., Zvyagina B.B., Derkowski A., Gor'kova N.V., Pokrovskaya E.V., Savichev A.T., and Zaitseva T.S. (2010) Nature of the Structural and Crystal-Chemical Heterogeneity of the Mg-Rich Glauconite (Riphean, Anabar Uplift). Lithology and Mineral Resources, 45(6), 555-576.
- Szczerba M.S., Środoń J., Skiba M., Derkowski A. (2010) One-dimensional structure of exfoliated polymer-layered silicate nanocomposites: A polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) case study. Applied Clay Science, 47 (3‑4), 235-241.
- Derkowski A., Środoń J., Franus W., Uhlik P., Banaś M., Zieliński G., Čaplovičová M., Franus M. (2009) Partial dissolution of glauconitic samples: implications for the methodology of K-Ar and Rb-Sr dating. Clays and Clay Minerals, 57, 531-554.
- Bristow T.F., Kennedy M., Derkowski A., Droser M., Jiang G., Creaser R. (2009) Paleoenvironments of the earliest animal fossils. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 106(32):13190-5.
- Środoń J., Zeelmaekers E., Derkowski A. (2009) The charge of component layers of illite-smectite in bentonites and the nature of end-member illite. Clays and Clay Minerals, 57, 650-672.
- Derkowski A., Franus W., Waniak-Nowicka H., Czímerová A. (2007) Textural properties vs. CEC and EGME retention of Na-X zeolite prepared from fly ash at room temperature. Int. J. Mineral Processing, 82, 57-68.
- Kacprzak A., Derkowski A. (2007) Cambisols developed from cover-beds in the Pieniny Mts. (southern Poland) and their mineral composition. Catena, 71, 292-297.
- Derkowski A., Michalik M. (2007) Statistical approach to the transformation of fly ash into zeolites. Mineralogia Polonica, 38(1), 47-69.
- Derkowski A., Franus W., Beran E., Czímerová A. (2006) Properties and potential applications of zeolitic materials produced from fly ash using simple method of synthesis. Powder Technology, 166, 47-54.
- Derkowski A. and Franus W. (2004) Properties of Na-X zeolite materials produced from coal fly ash by low temperature and hydrothermal methods of synthesis. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, 13 (III), 28‑30.
- Derkowski A. (2002) Experimental transformation of volcanic glass from Streda nad Bodrogom (SE Slovakia). Mineralia Slovaca, 35(1), 35-39.
- Derkowski A. (2002) Microwave oven in synthesis of Na-zeolites from fly ash. Preliminary results. Mineralogia Polonica, 33(1), 81-94.
- Integrated mineralogical-geochemical tool calculating petrophysical properties for the Formation Evaluation analysis. The programs that use a non-linear optimization engine were designed to (a) optimize the bulk elemental composition of the sample with the quantitative phase analysis results to obtain individual mineral chemical composition (b) distribute minor and trace elements into minerals, and (c) calculate fundamental wireline log petrophysical parameters of individual minerals in an oil reservoir that can be used in wireline log mineral modeling program. When applied in Chevron ETC under the BestRockTM name, the program output produces the ComposerTM file that combines individual minerals into composite mineral end-points that can be chosen by a log analyst based on weighted average concentrations of mineralogy, chemistry and associated petrophysical properties.
- MinStatTM system of statistical calculations and a computer program as a tool for the mineral modeling in the Formation Evaluation. A set of programs provide constraints describing relationships between minerals in an oil reservoir. The programs were designed for a manual or automatic calculation of mineral inequalities and for the multiple regression model for two or more (up to 10) mineral concentrations.
- Methodology for CEC and TSSA measurement. The bulk rock cation exchange capacity (CEC) and total specific surface area (TSSA) are mineral properties important in oil exploration. Currently available methods of their measurement were adjusted and limitations determined. An effect of water and EGME adsorption, and hexaminecobalt(III) cation exchange was explained for samples rich in opals, kerogen, zeolites, gypsum, etc., and introduced as a routine approach in commercial applications.
- Dual-Liquid Porosity (DLP) measurement in shales. Development of a technique for total and effective porosity measurements in gas shale samples. DLP is quick and simple method based on a complete water and kerosene saturation combined with thermogravimetry and the mineral-chemical analysis (as above). When combined with gas adsorption techniques, the measurement reveals the wetability and pore size distribution in kerogen and mineral matrix. The DLP technique allows avoiding the analytical problems identified in other porosity measurement techniques available for shale samples (GRI, MICP).
- PetroLog - reporting and calculation software for mineralogical and chemical data, including CEC, water adsorption, rock petrophysical properties, and clay minerals speciation. The software is used for daily routine reporting at Chevron ETC laboratories.