Equality of people and respect for diversity are values that allow the development of science and education. The principle of equality and the prohibition of discrimination are legal norms of a general nature, ensuring that everyone, regardless of gender or other individual characteristics, participates in various areas of life on an equal footing with others. This means that the Institute's policy takes into account the interests and needs of each person. We would like our Institute to be a place of equal opportunities, free from prejudice and discrimination, safe for everyone, functioning with respect for equality and diversity, ensuring equal treatment and respect for employees and doctoral students, as well as, scientific and professional development. The implemented Plan is also developed in order to improve the HR and recruitment policy of IGS PAS with respect to equality.
Main goals of the Gender Equality Plan:
- Raise awareness of the importance of equality issues and prevent discrimination.
- Continued monitoring to reduce disparities in equality and maintain a balanced gender level in recruitment, career development, and in decision-making bodies.
- Facilitate a healthy work-life balance.
- Ensure integration of gender equality into the content of scientific and innovative research.
The plan includes five key areas identified by the European Commission to achieve gender equality:
- Gender equality in recruitment and career progression;
- Gender balance in leadership and decision-making;
- Integration of the gender dimension into research and teaching content;
- Work-life balance and organisational culture;
- Measures against gender-based violence, including sexual harassment.
Terms and definitions:
- ACCEPTANCE - approval and embracing of differences in nationality: race, ethnicity, religion, beliefs, and values beyond simply tolerating them.
- DISCRIMINATION -Intentional or unintentional denial of equal treatment, civil liberties and opportunity to individuals or groups with respect to education, accommodation, health care, employment and access to services, goods and facilities. Discrimination is both worse treatment and privilege.
- DIVERSITY - is about the individual. It is about the variety of unique dimensions, qualities, and characteristics we all possess and the mix that occurs in any group of people. Race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, economic status, physical abilities, life experiences, and other perspectives can make up individual diversity.
- EQUALITY - where everyone is treated the same regardless of individual diversity and needs.
- GENDER - the socially constructed ideas about the behaviour, actions, and performed by a particular sex. Gender is fundamentally different from the sex assigned at birth.
- GENDER IDENTITY - is one's own internal sense of self and their gender, whether that is man, woman, neither or both.
- SEX - refers to a person's biological status and is typically assigned at birth, usually on the basis of external anatomy.
- TOLERATION - it is understanding for differences. An attitude of consent to professing and proclaiming views and beliefs with which we disagree, as well as practicing a way of life that we definitely do not approve of, i.e. consent to the fact that the community to which we belong is diverse in aspects that are important to us.
SCHEDULE for implementing the Gender Equality Plan – GEP (2023-2026)
Recommendation - work-life balance
Equality Team, based on the results of the equality survey conducted in 2022 and taking into account the suggestions of employees and PhD students of IGS PAS, recommends conducting business meetings involving larger groups of employees (e.g. team, laboratory, research center) between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. which will enable a work-life balance.
Rules for reporting incidents of discrimination at the IGS PAS
1. Reporting an incident of discrimination is accepted via the questionnaire available at https://www.ing.pan.pl/pracowcy/intranet
2. Checking the report by the Equality Team regarding the principles of the "Gender Equality Plan for IGS PAS".
3. Submitting the report to the Director of IGS PAS (Employer) to assess the possibility of prohibited acts occurring under the law.
DISCRIMINATION INCIDENT REPORT ( The questionnaire is available in the intranet)
Gender Equality Team IGS PAS
Equality Officer - dr hab. Joanna Mirosław-Grabowska
- mgr Anna Gumsley
- mgr Karolina Kaucha
- dr hab. Łukasz Kruszewski
- dr Anna Kukuła
- dr hab. Joanna Mirosław-Grabowska - Coordinator
Gender Impact Assessment| Gendered Innovations (stanford.edu)
GENDER EQUALITY PLAN FOR THE INSTITUTE OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCES POLISH ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
Equality Action Plan for 2023-2026