Research project funded by National Science Centre 2017/27/B/ST10/00813
(29.06.2018 – 28.06.2023)
“Mineral transformations and REE, Th, U, Pb distribution during alteration processes of monazite, xenotime and allanite in nano- and microscale, and analytical improvements of electron probe microanalysis and Raman micro-spectroscopy for these phases”
Primary Investigator: Bartosz Budzyń
The project aims to determine nano- and microscale mechanisms of monazite, xenotime and allanite alteration, and their impact on isotopic U-Pb record, as well as to improve selected microanalytical methods. The nanoscale observations provided crucial insights into reconstructions of fluid-mediated coupled dissolution-reprecipitation process, which is the main mechanism of alteration of monazite, xenotime and allanite. The isotopic LA-ICPMS analyses of experimentally altered monazite and xenotime demonstrate variable degree of U-(Th-)-Pb disturbance controlled by temperature conditions, fluid composition and/or annealing. New LA-ICPMS, TEM and Raman data provide new insights with significant implications for applications of monazite U-Th-Pb dating in tectonic reconstructions.
- Budzyń, B., Wirth, R., Sláma, J., Kozub-Budzyń, G.A., Rzepa, G., Schreiber, A. (2022) A detailed and comprehensive TEM, EPMA and Raman characterization of high-metamorphic grade monazite and their U-Th-Pb systematics (the Góry Sowie Block, SW Poland). Chemical Geology 607, 121015. doi: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2022.121015
- Budzyń, B., Sláma, J., Corfu, F., Crowley, J., Schmitz, M., Williams, M.L., Jercinovic, M.J., Kozub-Budzyń, G.A., Konečny, P., Rzepa, G., Włodek, A. (2021) TS-Mnz – a new monazite age reference material for U-Th-Pb microanalysis. Chemical Geology 572, 120195.doi: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2021.120195
- Budzyń, B., Wirth, R., Sláma, J., Birski, Ł., Tramm, F., Kozub-Budzyń, G.A., Rzepa, G., Schreiber, A. (2021). LA-ICPMS, TEM and Raman study of radiation damage, fluid-induced alteration and disturbance of U-Pb and Th-Pb ages in experimentally metasomatised monazite. Chemical Geology 583, 120464. doi: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2021.120464
- Tramm, F., Wirth, R., Budzyń, B., Sláma, J., Schreiber, A. (2021). LA-ICP-MS and TEM constraints on the magmatic and post-magmatic processes recorded by the zircon-xenotime intergrowth in pegmatite (Piława Górna, Góry Sowie Block, SW Poland). Lithos 404-405, 106480. doi: 10.1016/j.lithos.2021.106480
- Budzyń, B., Birski, Ł., Wirth, R., Schreiber, A. (2020) Nanoscale constraints on a fluid-induced transformation of monazite during postmagmatic alteration – A case of the Jawornik granitoid (NE Orlica-Śnieżnik Dome, Sudetes, SW Poland). Lithos 376-377, 105777.